Saturday, August 29, 2026

Building Lasting Habits: A Faith-Inspired CBT Approach

 

In Islamic tradition, we are taught that the deeds most beloved to Allah are those done regularly, even if they are small. This core principle beautifully mirrors Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) principles on habit formation: true transformation is not built on sudden, drastic overhauls, but through consistent, intentional, and incremental actions.

Story: Tariq’s Journey to Consistency

Consider Tariq, a busy professional who wanted to build a regular habit of reading Quran and exercising every day.

In the past, Tariq would set grand goals: "I will read one whole Surah every morning and workout for an hour every evening." But after a long, exhausting workday, his motivation would fade. Skipping one day turned into skipping three, and soon he felt overwhelmed, giving up entirely.

Tariq decided to change his approach using CBT-based habit formation tools combined with his faith-driven intentions (niyyah):

  1. Differentiating Goals from Habits: Tariq realized that "becoming spiritually connected and physically fit" were goals (outcomes). The habits were the actual recurring daily actions—such as reciting a few verses after Fajr or going for a short walk after Maghrib.

  2. Starting Small (The 1% Rule): Instead of aiming for an hour of reading or heavy workouts, Tariq started with small, manageable increments. He committed to reading just 1 page of the Quran or walking for 5 minutes. By improving just 1% each week, the cumulative progress over time became substantial.

  3. Connecting Habits to Existing Routines (Habit Stacking): To keep himself consistent without relying solely on memory or willpower, Tariq linked his new habits directly to existing routines using the format: "After [existing habit], I will [new habit]."

    • "After I pray Fajr, I will read 1 page of Quran."

    • "After I finish my evening prayer, I will do 5 minutes of stretching."

  4. Updating the Environment: Tariq made his surrounding environment work for him rather than against him. He placed his Quran stand right next to his prayer mat so it was immediately visible, and he kept healthy snacks on the kitchen counter while hiding processed foods out of sight.

  5. Embracing "Some Practice is Better Than No Practice": On days when Tariq felt completely exhausted, he reminded himself that doing something was far better than doing nothing. If he didn't have the energy for a full walk, he walked for just 2 minutes. If he couldn't read a full page, he read two verses. Consistency kept the habit alive.

  6. Accountability and Tracking: Tariq shared his intentions with a good friend to build mutual accountability (suhbah). He also kept a simple calendar tracker where he checked off each day he practiced his habit, gaining a sense of satisfaction as he watched his streak grow.

  7. Rewarding Success: To sustain motivation while waiting for long-term health and spiritual benefits, Tariq rewarded himself with a small, permissible pleasure: "After [new habit], I will [reward]."

    • "After I finish my post-prayer reading, I will enjoy a warm cup of mint tea."

By focusing on small, structured steps rather than overwhelming targets, Tariq successfully built meaningful, sustainable habits that transformed his daily life.

Summary: Core CBT Strategies for Building Habits

  • Differentiate Goals vs. Habits: Goals are desired long-term outcomes; habits are the specific, repeated actions required to achieve them.

  • Start Small: Make small, incremental changes (1% improvements); over time, these yield massive results.

  • Anchor to Existing Routines: Use the formula "After [existing habit], I will [new habit]" to integrate new behaviors into your day seamlessly.

  • Optimize Your Environment: Put positive cues in plain sight and hide unwanted distractions.

  • Some Practice is Better Than No Practice: Maintain consistency above all else, even if an effort lasts only a couple of minutes on low-energy days.

  • Track and Share: Record your habits in a journal or calendar, and tell a trusted friend for encouragement and accountability.

  • Reward Small Wins: Use immediate, wholesome rewards following a habit using "After [new habit], I will [reward]" to keep motivation high.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments for feedback or if you wish to convey a message to others who read this blog.